I'm blushing

My neighborhood friend and huge garden resource Russ Henry profiled my garden in his latest newsletter, The Seed. It's a very glowing interpretation of my handiwork. I haven't felt like such an earth-mother since I was on the verge of leaving college to go bake bread on a commune. Thanks, Russ! (Okay, I never chose a commune. But I had a big book - before absolutely everything was on the internet - listing communal farms all over the country, and I was circling and day dreaming like mad.)

The best part of being interviewed was going back to look at some of the "before" pictures of my garden.

I inherited a great garden from the previous owners, in fact it's totally what made me notice this house, which they had just decided to sell, but hadn't even put on the market yet. But that's a story for another post. I was lucky though, because that garden stood in for details that as a first time home buyer I wasn't quite tracking. What I didn't realize is that the garden was so great because, with a house that faces the street, I had an alley on the East and a neighbor's yard to the West, and a low house to the North, meaning a ton of sun for the even bigger garden that was hardly even a twinkle in my eye at the time. Anyway - when the garden is a big swath of dirt this time of year, I can wonder if I was wise to tear up all that yard. But looking at those pictures, and reading Russ's insistent tribute, reminds me how much I love my garden.


Comments